The beginning of the big KT adventure!

The beginning of the big KT adventure!
I just got married to the most amazing man! Life is bliss!

Friday 1 January 2010

BUSY week + I'm 24!!!! ahhhh








































































Immediately following Christmas was a full scheduled week for me. Starting at 5am on Saturday, dec. 26th, Keith and I got up and left our apartment by 5:30am. We had a winter camp that sat. and sund. at an elementary school near Seogwipo, in the south eastern part of the Island. Although we didn't have to be there until 8:30 am, because of the bus tranfer we had to take, we just barely made it there by 8:15 after taking the 6am bus. It was insanely early and cold! Never had to work the day after X-mas and it stinks! The camp was fun, but the first day was very unorganized and new for me, since I usually teach middle level and usually use power pt. and have organized lessons prepared. I had to teach last minute lessons and think of extra activities plus be able to figure out what level these students were at. The next day we got a ride from the head superivor's husband, so that helped us get a little more sleep. This weekend camp went from 9am until 3pm, but with the commute, it was even longer than my normal days at work.

However, the second camp that I worked was much better. This camp went from monday until thursday, and from 9am-1pm, plus it was only about five minutes by car away and our neighbor Paul drove us each day because he also was teaching at this camp. The supervisors were very organized, we had time to prepare our games and lessons, and the Korean co-teachers were even in the classroom to help us out. In addition, we were even treated to lunch at a new restaurant each day after the day was done. Each place was delicious and the restaurants varied from Chinese, to vegetarian dishes, to Korean-style chicken veggie soup + Mandu (dumplings filled with pork and veggies), and a very nice and expensive sushi restaurant our last day on thursday. The lessons I taught varied from teaching them about the western new years, and having them sew a snowman patch onto camp bags that they could keep, to teaching them about Zodiac signs and having spelling bees, snack trivia war, and having them decorate a cake.

Although working this camp non-stop for the whole week on top of celebrations...like my b-day + new years..made it very hectic, the camp was a great experience for me because I was able to learn a lot of activities out of it, how it is to teach elementary students and I was able to meet a lot of the Korean co-teachers, as well as spend time with the foreign teachers during lunch. And this grade level is adorable because the students had such a fun time knowing that Keith and I were boyfriend and girlfriend, and also were excited all week knowing that it was my b-day on wednesday. Cerise, one of the foreign teachers, had her students make b-day cards for me in her class. So it was so cute when I changed classes and had all those students bring me cards and sing to me. It was perfect too, because we did cake decorating during one of the activities, so those same students pretended like they were decorating it for my b-day (one group even wrote my name on the cake!) and sang to me, plus had me pretend to blow out the candles. I even had two students who really seemed to like me and keith, bring me a wrapped gift! I couldn't believe it. It was a spongebob notebook and b-day card that said tina hearts keith inside. Kids are adorable and it made my week just being around that age!

On Tuesday, dec. 29th, the night before my b-day, I planned a dinner out with my friends (about 15 of us) to a california sushi roll restaurant. I had never been there and it was delicious! There were so many different types of sushi rolls that I never knew existed, and some were even baked with cheddar cheese or bbq sauce on top. Afterwards, we went to Chocolat, where we had chocolate fondu! YUMMY! I had planned on going out that night to celebrate turning 24 at midnight, but because of the winter camp the next morning that I had to work, I ended up just making more plans for the night of my b-day. So after working on the 30th, I invited whoever wanted to join Keith and I out to our favorite Mexican restaurant, Zapatas, following going to the movies to see Avatar. Well, my co-teachers at my middle school surprised me by picking me up after work and taking me to Chocolat (I know, again! I am spoiled!). There we chatted and shared lil sandwich snacks. They brought out a chocolate cake for me and lit the candles and sang, then had me make a wish and blow out the candles. They then packaged the cake back up because they knew I was going to Zapatas...so they had me bring it to dinner and share it with my friends. Since my one co-teacher, Eun Mi Lee, is leaving January 2nd for Texas for a month to do an English teacher's program, my co-teachers couldn't go with to dinner and instead dropped me off after we spent a few hours together. About 10 or so friends came to Zapatas. I had a shrimp burrito and a margarita, we all shared the cake, and my sweet friend Kelly brought flowers for me. After dinner, Keith and I plus Paul and his gf Sunghee all went to see Avatar. The movie was so good! I thought I was in a computer game the whole time...and the graphics were amazing and the storyline was very interesting. I would highly recommend the movie to anyone who hasn't yet seen it. It was very long though, so make sure you use the bathroom before the movie begins (and don't drink coffee like I did:)

On the way home from the movie, we stopped at the Lantern Festival that was only going on for a few days near the main plaza/river in our area/ Shichan. It was amazing to see so many lanterns lit up by the river and by the bridge at night. There were big tiger lanterns, turtle lanterns and a big ship lantern in the river. Check out the pictures! Plus there were small lanterns all along the river and along a path. All of these had wishes written on them. So Keith and I also wrote a wish for the new year. Our friend Sunghee was reading some of the wishes on the laterns around the river, and she started laughing because one of them said that they wish to be skinnier, and to have a handsome boyfriend and to have a clear face. Haha Guess they think the same as some of us do in the states.

I forgot to mention, but in the morning I opened my gift sent from my parents. And to my surprise, it was a pretty heart locket necklace from the Wheaton jewelry store. I can't wait to wear it and put a picture of my family and me and keith inside! It matches perfectly with the heart tiffanys bracelet they got me a whiles back. Thanks mom and dad!! Also, thanks to Aunt Bea who really surprised me by sending me a box of scrap booking supplies with a travel theme! I am honestly so excited to start the scrapbook tomorrow, right after I find a shop to print off pictures at. Thanks Aunt Bea!! Can't wait to make a book of my memories and adventures in Korea.

Along with having my blog and making scrapbooks, I would also like to make a dvd/video each year which will include pictures, videos, music, and experiences for that year of our travels. This way, we can share this with family and friends at home, and also keep them to remember everything we did, saw and learned from each country we travel to and live in.

Well, my b-day was truly amazing and definitely the best b-day I've ever had. Now I just have to come to terms that I'm really 24. Geeez how time flies. But I guess as long as I make the most of my year and age, I should always look forward to being another year older and having another exiting year ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment