The beginning of the big KT adventure!

The beginning of the big KT adventure!
I just got married to the most amazing man! Life is bliss!

Thursday 24 March 2011

Korean/Japan relationship

One interesting thing I learned from my Korean friend last week is about the Jeju dialect. The younger generation all learn the Korean language; therefore, when they travel to the mainland they all speak the same language. However, the older generation (students' grandparents) seem to speak their own language at times, which the younger kids don't always understand. It's funny to hear this, but I think I can relate this to western culture. The older generation in the US sometimes also speak words or phrases that younger kids don't especially know or use these days. And likewise. The even more interesting thing that I learned is that the reason behind this secret Jeju dialect is because the grandparents lived at a time when some Japanese lived in Jeju. This was the period that Japanese tried to take control of Korea. While they were in this process, many Koreans picked up some Japanese phrases, thus, combining Korean and Japanese into their Jeju dialect.

My Korean friend also taught me about the history of the relationship between Japan and Korea. The first big event was actually in 1885, when Japanese gangsters killed the Korean Queen. They burned her so that there would be no body; therefore, no memory of her existence. Then, in 1910, there was the Japanese Ruling Era which was the time that the Japanese took control of the Korean government. During this period, the Japanese tormented the Koreans. She gave me detailed examples like piercing the Korean's fingernails, making them faint by intense pain, raping women, having a room with spikes and pushing them into the wall, pushing their noses into spicy water, cutting off body parts. I was shocked that she could explain this to me and felt sick to my stomach after hearing all of this.

The Korean people were also used for Japanese medical experiments. For example, Korean and Chinese people were put into a gas room or cold room to see how long a human body could last in this extreme environment. The Japanese also inserted bacteria to see the results. Basically, they were used as animals in order to improve the Japanese medical studies. Thus, that is one reason why they have become a country with such an advanced medical field.

In 1945, after the atomic bomb in Hiroshima occurred during WWII, there was the Independent Movement in Korea. Since Japan lost the war to the US, Japan finally declared Korea's independence. Therefore, Aug. 15th, 1945 is Korea's important Independence Day. Last year, Keith and I were gone for the holiday because of our wedding so it will be interesting to see this August how they celebrate this special day.

Because of this horrible past with Japan, many Koreans (mostly the older generation who lived during this era) despise Japan. And by do not like, I mean they really really do not like the country. However, the younger generation is very different. Children and those in their 20s/30s study Japanese in school, travel to Japan, listen to Japanese music, read their comic books, and basically are really interested in their culture. So I think it is more the country as a whole that Koreans frown upon. But when it comes to the culture and people, Koreans are interested and accepting.

It's so great to have Korean friends here. Not only are they helping me improve my Korean each week, but also teaching me about the history and culture. I am also returning the favor, by teaching my Korean friends the US history and culture.

Since I will be the new ESL teacher at the international school, one of my goals this semester is to improve my Korean so that I can be very helpful in my class and fully understand my students. Knowing how to read and write, along with some basic Korean phrases and words really go a long way in the classroom. I somewhat understand what the students are asking or I can teach them how to spell Korean words in English. By practicing the language in my class, my students are also helping me improve my Korean.

Language exchange is a wonderful thing. I would highly recommend it for anyone living overseas. It's the best way to learn firsthand about the language, culture and country's history.

No comments:

Post a Comment