The beginning of the big KT adventure!

The beginning of the big KT adventure!
I just got married to the most amazing man! Life is bliss!

Tuesday 8 December 2009

The Dream Match + Korean pop concert





















































Last Friday I saw New Moon! It just came out here and I was super excited about going, especially since I've read all the books and have been looking forward to all the movies. I went with friends in my apartment and two English teachers at my school, so there was about 8 of us. It was wonderful! Won't give anything away, but all the shirtless actors did an amazing job! :)

On Saturday, Keith and I got a ride from our neighbor, Paul and his girlfriend, down to the soccer game in Seogwipo. This specific game, called The Dream Match, was supposedly a big deal and one of the biggest events on the island this year. This is because they were playing a Chinese team which was made up of mostly people that came from North Korea. Since Jeju's soccer team is really bad, there were tons of free tickets given out at Family Marts (convenient stores) and on the street by the Tangerine mascot himself. We were able to get tickets, but they did go fast because the game was also supported by about 9 new and popular Korean pop bands. I have no clue how all of this was free and how the soccer team/singers were able to earn anything from this??? But it worked out that this event that all of our friends met up at and where I would be able to watch my very first concert (s) overseas, was all FREE. :) This makes up for all the money we spent on fancy meals last week. The game was a little boring, but we won 2-0, it was a nice social time and we got to see very popular Korean bands (and I knew the songs too because they're always on the radio, bus, playing by my students, etc.). From what my students told me, some of them went and most of them watched the bands on TV. The singers were crazy though! They were wearing shorts/skirts on top of thin leggings and it was frickin cold that day and very very windy! It was cute though, because so many kids (and some of the singers) were wearing huge animal paw mittens...this seems to be in right now, along with animal hats, like lions, pigs, bears, etc. It's so cute! I might have to get some.

That Saturday night, after watching this hilarious and disgusting Japanese Horror Film called The Machine Girl, at Paul's apartment, we all went to Open Mic night. It was at a bar about 20 minutes away, and they only have these nights once every 2 months. There were about 50 people all in this tiny relaxing bar with couches and tables. We knew most of the people (almost all foreigners), and it was neat to see each person perform something different. Some people sang, played guitar, read poems or stories. And Paul's girlfriend's brother, who supposedly won a huge contest in all of Jeju, did a Korean rap song, which was so cool to watch. Had no clue what he was saying, but I could tell he definitely knew what he was doing. It was a good night of catching up with people and enjoying the music.

On Sunday, Keith and I walked over to a nearby church with our neighbor Kristin. This was the first time going to this church, but really enjoyed the service and have decided to continue going to this one. Not only is it 5 minutes to walk to, but there's an actual English minister and service which is in a separate room than the Korean service, so there are many foreigners and some Koreans that speak English very well. I even bumped into one of my students in there! I was so impressed that she could listen to the English service and was practicing her English skills this way! Wow. Devoted! I love it. Also, the people there were all so caring and I can just tell this is the kind of community I want to be around when I go to church. They will also be starting small groups in January if I wanted to join one. Keith and I then went out with a friend from EPIK that also goes to our new church, for Hobang Toast...this amazing little restaurant that cooks the most delicious egg, onion, ketchup sandwich on a type of whole wheat bread. It's what I look forward to each weekend! ha

The rest of the weekend was relaxing, catching up with groceries, laundry, cleaning the apartment...the usual for Sundays. I also went to check out this gym that's right next to Sarabong, so very close to us. I loved it. It is only 1,800 won ($1.80) per day, so I've decided to go there a few times a week during this cold winter on the days I don't want to run outside, and for weights, swimming (they have a pool!) and to play b-ball with Keith maybe on the weekends at the b-ball court they have. I was so happy to find this gym, because after skipping most of last year's winter b/c of student teaching in Texas, I forgot how difficult the cold weather can be. It makes you not want to go outside and workout. Fortunately we have our winter trips to warmer places, so we'll have to just look forward to these dates.

I just found out my parents are going to Costa Rica during the winter! Good for them. It's amazing when people take the time to travel and enjoy themselves. It will be good for them to get out of the cold Chicago weather and get some sun.

This week is my last week of teaching for the semester. I can't believe how fast time flies. I prepared review games for the beginning of this week for students to be ready for their finals. Finals are a big deal here and teachers as well as students take it very seriously. Sometimes students will study a month or so in advance. After the finals next week, most of my classes have earned their TV Show Day. I am going to try to find the Simpsons show with Korean subtitles because all of my students loooove that show. Then it will already be Christmas time and then my birthday and New Years! So many celebrations.

I also just got a package in the mail yesterday from my parents. I was speechless because I was so surprised to find a small Christmas tree, decorations, a Christmas singing dog stuffed animal, Christmas socks, stockings for me and Keith and little Christmas presents for under the tree. It was the sweetest thing ever! My co-teacher was smiling and laughing as well and guessed that my parents probably miss me. I just put up the tree in our apartment (me and Keith's first tree! aww) and put the wrapped Christmas presents from my parents and from Keith's mom underneath. I think this Christmas will be very different because we won't be at home and will be missing everyone so much, but we will just have to make it special and keep the traditions going here in Korea.

So I found out great news. EPIK teachers are supposed to teach winter camp(s) during the students vacation period...last week of December until March 1st. Fortunately, I will be teaching a winter camp only for the first three weeks of January. It will be for 14 days, for only 2 hours a day for only 10 students...the highest/smartest in my classes. Plus, I am using the same chapter book that I used for my early reading class, but just adding on many comprehension and vocabulary activities and games. I'm super excited because I only have to go to school for those 2 hours a day and then we have our vacation time the last 10 days of January and February and instead of having to teach at another school (which our EPIK company could make us do because we're getting paid during the winter break), my co-teacher will have me work a "teacher's workshop". This pretty much means that I will be meeting the English teachers a few times throughout February at a coffee shop or a restaurant, or one of the teacher's homes, and will hold discussions to practice their English and teach them about America. How much fun does that sound?! Much better than teaching at a random school for students who you don't know and who most likely do not want to be there during their break. It will be another opportunity to get closer with my co-workers and learn more about Korean culture, while seeing the similarities and differences with the US.

Well, time for me to get some sleep.... this is hard sometimes because this has been such an exciting year, and will continue to get more exciting so I always have so much I'm thinking about!! ahh Gotta enjoy life while you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment