The beginning of the big KT adventure!

The beginning of the big KT adventure!
I just got married to the most amazing man! Life is bliss!

Tuesday 7 December 2010

Silence Is Golden







Yesterday, as I was walking to the bus stop, I bumped into 2 young Korean children (a grade 3 boy and a grade 2 girl) who I always see at the bus stop. They go to the elementary school near the school I work. I have tried a few times to say hi to them but they don't seem to know any English, except recently the boy has been saying hi to me.

Well, this morning, we were both surprised to see each other in front of my apartment so we walked together to the bus stop. The whole way they tried to speak to me but I didn't understand because it was all in Korean. I'm guessing they were saying "I know you. You stand at the bus stop and take our bus." But this is only a guess. This was a huge reminder of how my students probably feel when I talk too fast or use unfamiliar words to them, or when they really want to tell me something but just can't find the right English words to use. I just stood there with a questioned look on my face and shrugged my shoulders (as my students sometimes do).

Since I didn't know how to respond in Korean I used ALL the Korean I knew to make conversation, and from my little Korean I found out that they're in 3rd and 2nd grade and their names (although I can't remember now!) and well, that's about it. I felt frustrated that I couldn't communicate more with them. I usually don't have this big of a problem with middle school or upper elementary (when I teach on Sat), but with the younger ones...they really don't know what you're saying and all they can say to you is Korean. I even tried using the easy English that my students always know, "How are you?" but even this was too difficult for them.

ESL is an amazing subject to teach. It is an especially unique experience when you are teaching ESL overseas. It is so easy to put yourselves in the shoes of your students because you are living in a world where so many things are confusing and where there are so many language barriers and culture shock. This is an ideal spot for an ESL teacher to be. I have found numerous ways to communicate and this exemplifies teaching techniques that I can use in the classroom to help my students. For example, hand gestures, facial expressions and using clues or other easy words to figure out the meaning.

Back to the bus stop story. As I was waiting to cross the street with the 2 children at the crosswalk, another group of upper elementary students walked past us. One boy I recognized because lately he's been making it a habit to say hi to me, asking me what my name is and where I'm from, and even telling me, "Welcome to Jeju". I am amazed by his English and outgoing attitude towards foreigners. Well, he said hi to me again and asked how I was and then asked where I was going. This is where I told him that I was a teacher and which school I worked at. At the time, I couldn't remember the Korean name for middle school, so the student didn't understand what I was talking about. Luckily, I remembered the name of the town where my school was (Hwabuk) since they always say this name when I get off the bus. I also pointed in the direction of my bus and these two clues gave the student the help he needed to figure out what I was saying.

It is interesting how lil of the Korean language I know, but how great I have become at communicating in other ways.

I even figured out what the 2 children were trying to tell me in Korean when we finally reached the bus stop. We were both searching the bus TV screen which shows which buses are approaching. Since we can take either bus 10 or 100 and both were approaching, I knew the students were probably asking me which bus I was going to take because they wanted to take the same bus as me. How cute, right? I felt like a sister figure to them. They gestured me to the bus, sat right next to me, and told me bye in Korean when they left and some other Korean things that I didn't understand. They even waved to me a few more times outside of the bus. I love the friendly Korean kids here.

It was a wonderful morning as I was reminded how meaningful language barriers can be. Because you really have to be aware of your surrounding, body gestures and be able to take the time to read people just by taking note of the situation and the person's habits. I feel like it's a puzzle worth taking the time to figure out, rather than being told. ALthough, dont get me wrong, there has been plenty of times where I wish there wasn't any language barrier and I didn't have the time to figure the puzzle out. However, I have also experienced situations in which it is better that we don't know the whole side of the story. Silence is golden and just being around someone can make you feel close to them.

I've actually made quite a lot of acquaintances from just waving or nodding at people who I see on a regular basis. For example, everyone who regularly takes the bus, the bibimbap food shop owner who works right next to the bus stop....I bow to him and say hi every day. We have something in common which brings us closer and creates respect to one another.

Living overseas teaches so many lessons. It also makes you not worry about the small things as much and also allows you to see the whole picture.

Well, I will be doing a hair show next week and then we'll be having many holiday celebrations and events, so I'll have pictures and updates very soon!

Today and the rest of the week I am enjoying my free time in the office while the students take their finals. I have been doing some exercises (yoga, pilates, jump rope, sit-ups) in the English classroom, planning for winter camps, preparing for our winter trips and just relaxing and taking it easy. I love being an ESL teacher!
Oh, and I just got the movie "Home Alone" with Korean subtitles for my students to watch (and listen to in English) during our last week and a half of classes. They seem to all love that movie here...it must be played on TV, since they all know it.

Well, hope you're enjoying the first of the snow back at home! I do miss it and hope to be able to play again in the snow on Mt. Halla this year like we did last winter. One more update...I've been constantly sick- stuffy noise, sore throat and coughing. It's because of the change in weather. We have warm days and then cold, very windy days. Everyone seems to be sick all the time. Hopefully, the weather will stay the same soon so we can all feel better.

Have a great week!




Here is a funny youtube video that was dubbed from an old movie. It explains what every ESL teacher in Korea has to go through....desk warming during holiday vacation, which makes it impossible to take long vacations through SE Asia! It's so true and very funny. :)

Hitler Has To Desk Warm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIeHeJ0V4LY

No comments:

Post a Comment