The beginning of the big KT adventure!

The beginning of the big KT adventure!
I just got married to the most amazing man! Life is bliss!

Monday 28 September 2009

Mount Sarabong

Mount Sarabong is an amazing (they call little but I think it's very big) mountain pretty much across from our apartment. Keith and I go there for hiking up the steep hills, and running on the paths (and now running the hills for our marathon training), to use the outdoor fitness equipment, and for seeing the amazing sights at the top. The mountain has a great view on the top of the city, other mountains including Mt. Halla, and of the ocean/ports. On the days we do our workouts at Mt. Halla, we go after school around 5:30, which is a perfect time because it is still sunny, but then the sun is going down and we see the sun setting and the lights across the city by the time we are almost done with our workout. There are also underground swimming pool lanes, temples, places to go sit by the ocean/rocks and watch the ports, and badmitton courts. I love this mountain and have a video above of me at the top of one of the bigger hills.

As you see above, health is very important to Koreans. It is common to see families and couples walking/hiking or running on the mountains in the morning and in the evenings. They are very good hikers, especially with the steepist of hills! They also seem to love stretches, martial arts, such as yoga and tae kwan do, and a small amount of weight machines, pushups and situps. One big challenge and accomplishment for Koreans living in Jeju is climbing the largest mountain in South Korea....Mount Halla. Koreans will tend to tell you how many times they have climbed to the top if you are talking about the mountain and its various trails. Keith and I were lucky to already have climbed it on the 2nd weekend in Jeju, and although we didn't take the most difficult path, we took the 2nd most difficult and one of the longest trails (one of two that takes you all the way to the top). We feel like it was a big accomplishment and we hope to hike Mt. Halla in all seasons to see the snow at the top in the winter and the beautiful spring flowers.

Koreans also feel that most of the food they eat has nutritional value and is very good for your health. I have been explained by my co-teacher the many health benefits of green tea, seaweed, drinking vinegar, sweet potato, and many more. Also, I have learned that it is better for you health to drink a little bit after your meal...instead of during or right afterwards. At lunch at my school, because there is always a soup served, Koreans will not have a drink with their meal. Instead, they will have barley water available after they eat their lunch. However, my co-teacher mentioned it is better for digestion to wait even longer so that you will not have a stomach cramp. I find this very interesting and I learn something new from her each day! Thanks Mrs. Kang! Rice is also served at almost every meals, along with kimchi (a spicy cabbage). Rice is very important to Koreans and serves many types of dishes, including rice cakes, curry rice, rice crackers, rice in soup, etc. Cheese and milk are not as popular in Korea though. I find it very expensive to drink milk and we usually only have cheese if we have our Pizza Maru sometimes as a treat (which makes us find like we're in Chicago again!). I am excited, though, because although I love Korean food, Keith and I found a great little sandwich shop that has delicious and inexpensive choices.



Koreans also love to play games and sports, and can be very competitive (especially the students when playing games in my classes)! Badmitton, soccer, baseball, and a game called "kick volleyball" (which is volleyball and soccer combined) are very popular sports in South Korea. Instead of tennis courts, they have badmitton courts on Sarabong. It is popular among my Korean girl students. My boys tend to love soccer, baseball and kick volleyball...which I always see kids and sometimes adults playing by the badmitton courts near the ports (theres a small park on pavement with basketball hoops there and an open area to rollerskate).

Jjimilbongs, or bath houses/saunas, are also very popular because they are supposed to be relaxing and very good for your health. Keith and I have not yet experienced one, but we hope to with friends possibly next weekend. Here is what I have been told they are like....you go in and go into separate rooms (males and females) where you undress, shower, and while you are not wearing any clothes you go into different temperature baths (very hot or colder). Then, you can get a sensual massage, and then you are given a set over loose-fitting clothing to wear. The next room you go in is open and has both males and females. You can eat, watch TV, play cards, listen to music and just relax as you go into different temperature baths. It only costs about $5,000 won (or $5 US), and you can stay at one of these houses for as long as you'd like...even overnight, which some people do and use as a hotel. If you ask me, this sounds great and I can't wait to try it for myself and then tell you details on the experience!! I will have to be confident though, because I hear I will get a lot of stares for looking very different than Koreans when I am in the all-females area with no clothes! I will find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment